This uniform dates from around 1900-1910, just before the creation of the modern NZ army.
This particular uniform is that of a private in the 2nd Battalion Wellington (West Coast) Rifle Volunteers.
In the side view you can see the musicians trade badge, there is one on each arm. As this trade badge has the kings crown this would confirm that this tunic fits in the post 1901 period.
A close up of the 1895 pattern NZ Volunteers button.
The badge is a coronet surmounted by a lion rampant. In the base scroll is the motto: Acer in armis (Strong in arms).
The shoulder title on the epaulettes show the 2 Wellington shoulder title and the yellow facing colour of the cuffs and collar.
The lining is a white blanket material and covers almost three quarters of the tunic, the sleeves are fully lined in a different lighter material.
On the right hand side of the lining is present a paper label which unfortunately is missing the date information but does confirm it was manufactured/retailed by James Smith & Co. James Smith’s was a Wellington department store, some would say institution, that existed on the corner of Manners and Cuba Street from 1866 until 1993.
On the lining of the left hand shoulder is the W^D mark surmounted by a U and under that a size mark of 11.